West Antarctic Peninsula Working Group
The West Antarctic Peninsula Working Group (WAP WG) will assist delivery of coordinated and, where possible, standardised observations of essential physical, chemical and biological variables in the West Antarctic Peninsula in the Southern Ocean in support of SOOS objectives
The WAP WG is open for involvement to anyone working in the WAP region. Contact Kate Hendry or Oscar Schofield to register your interest.
First WAP WG Workshop
The West Antarctic Peninsula Working Group (WAP WG) held its first workshop from the 15-26th May 2017.
- Workshop Report
- Eos Article
- Workshop Program
- Original logistics information
Terms of Reference
The working group (WG) will fulfil the following terms of reference over the next 5 years:
- Develop and enable regional-scale observing in the West Antarctic Peninsula using SOOS best practice for observing system in the WAP.
- Identify and assemble legacy data sets and sampling techniques of ships and stations in the West Antarctic Peninsula of the Southern Ocean in order to provide best practice sampling protocols for physical, chemical and biological parameters to enable their standardisation. Sampling approaches and recommendations will be made available on the SOOS Web site.
- Based on the experience in the WAP, identify gaps and bottlenecks in the observation systems and contribute to SOOS in addressing these issues. Facilitate co-ordinated and, where possible, multidisciplinary (physical, chemical and biological) observations of the West Antarctic Peninsula of the Southern Ocean. Plans, operations and meta-data will be made available on the SOOS web site to help collaboration amongst the international community.
- Facilitate and, when needed, develop procedures to achieve efficient sharing of data across the science community according to SOOS data policy.
- Convene focussed sessions at national and international meetings, including SCAR and SCOR, and Facilitate synthesis products, to increase the awareness of the science community to the importance of the West Antarctic Peninsula of the Southern Ocean.
- Provide support to International Program Office (IPO) by providing annual reports to be available at the SOOS SSC annual meeting, as well as providing content for the IPO website/newsletters on the activities and outcomes of the West Antarctic Peninsula, working group.
- Develop a funding plan to sustain the Working Group activities. Have products coming out of the WG acknowledge SOOS.
- Contribute to international initiatives assessing the state of the SO.
This WG is open to all interested participants, please contact the Co-Chairs if you wish to be involved. This working group is currently building membership
||Biological oceanography, sensor technology, phytoplankton
SOOS SSC Sponsor
||University of Bristol
||University of Edinburgh
Planned Products and Outcomes
- Table of existing sampling practices of ships and stations in the region posted on SOOS Web site, along with planned activities.
- Agreement for data sharing among the science community and provision of data streams to SOOS.
- Publications in a peer-reviewed journal on latest evidence for dynamics and change in the region and future research priorities.
- Deliver innovative products that can be used by researchers to solve the science problems (data committee).
- Facilitate that national operators reinforce following the best practice.