An expansion and enhancement towards sustained observations of dynamics and change in the Southern Ocean requires constant efforts within the domain of technological advancement for observing platforms and sensors. A key priority of SOOS is to advocate, guide and spur the international community on the development of new observation technologies adapted for the unique conditions and remoteness associated with the Southern Ocean.
The Techno+Endorsement category aims to identify and promote emerging technological research and development of observing techniques, platforms and sensors with an emphasis on those that fill priority gaps in capabilities identified by SOOS or other. The endorsement extends from individual R&D projects to large international technological drives, and includes both those that are funded or those seeking funding.
- SOOS to facilitate the cross-cutting linkages between requirements for scientific objectives and how these can filled though technological advancement. SOOS Techno+ will help elucidate the scientific-engineering linkages.
- SOOS can inform an understanding of feasibility
- SOOS can assess level of need
- SOOS identifies key regions for observations, hence it can guide where particular technology is required to be applied
- SOOS to provide operational requirements towards the fulfillment of an observing system
- Identify technological overlap that provides for more scientific gain (sensor to platform, platform to platform, sensor to sensor)
- Reduce / constrain variation in observational methodologies and technologies – rather towards singular recognised and tested method/technology.
- Reduce chance of duplication or parallel efforts through information sharing on new technology gains
- Technological advancements to contribute to SOOS Capability Working Groups / Task Teams as part of its Implementation Plan
- Increases the visibility/identification of R&D research and groups
- Provides an international framework for your research, which can help to leverage support and funding
- Enables close working links with other relevant programmes and studies
- Enhanced networking and communication
- Promotes rapid and wide communication of ideas and results through the SOOS network. SOOS a go-to place for information on available technology
- Potential to broaden the range of study (spatially and temporally) through increased availability of complementary information
- Provide a connection to technology developers (businesses and engineering groups), facilitate connection between developers and end-users
- Help to bridge commercial efforts with institutes that have shared interests, to facilitate co-funding of development
Endorsement will only be considered if the proposed project meets ALL of the following criteria:
- Projects that address or contribute to (i) SOOS objectives, (ii) help address SOOS Scientific Theme(s)
- Project provides at least basic information on technological drive to disseminate to community
- Provide updates to SOOS when key milestones (i.e. development, completion of trials, or full use for scientific work) are reached
Endorsement is achieved through the following process:
- Download the Request for SOOS Endorsement form. Save the form as a new 'pdf' document before you commence filling it out, and then return your form as an email attachment to the Executive Officer in the SOOS International Project Officer (
- Your request is forwarded to SSC members for assessment.
- SSC members will review the application and notify the Executive Officer of the decision within 10 working days of receiving the application.
- The Executive Officer will notify the project leader of the decision within 4 working days of receiving the decision from the reviewing SSC members.
To request endorsement of individual research projects please use the Request for SOOS Endorsement form. For endorsement of a large-scale coordination programme or project, please contact the Executive Officer for details.